The Joseph Brown Whitehead Memorial Infirmary is dedicated.

The School of Applied Biology is established.

Tech hires its first female faculty member, math instructor Mary Katherine Cabell.
Ford Greene, Ralphy Long Jr. and Lawrence Williams become the first black students admitted to Tech. Fearful of violence, such as that which broke out at the University of Georgia when it desegregated a few weeks earlier, President Harrison orders students to remain peaceful or face expulsion. He also banishes press from campus the day the three students begin classes.

The Athletic Association displays the first official Ramblin' Wreck, a 1930 white and gold Ford Model A cabriolet sport coupe.

The new Southern Tech campus in Marietta opens.
RAT rules are dropped.

The electrical engineering building is constructed.

The School of Nuclear Engineering is established.
The School of Information and Computer Science is established. Tech is the first institution in the United States to offer a master's degree in information science.

The Frank H. Neely Nuclear Research Center is dedicated.

Eleven years after the first women are admitted to Tech, only 49 register for the upcoming year.

The Water Resources Center is created. Renamed the Environmental Resources Center in 1970, it now functions as the Water Resources Research Institute of Georgia.
Dean George C. Griffin retires after 18 years as Dean of Students. Dean George Griffin Day is proclaimed by Governor Carl Sanders on May 16, and Griffin is named dean emeritus on July 1. During his long career with Tech, Griffin worked as a math instructor, assistant football coach and secretary of the Alumni Association. He also coached tennis, track and cross-country. He was named assistant dean of students in 1930 and promoted to dean in 1946.

Tech withdraws from the Southeastern Conference.
Compulsory ROTC ends.

The Alumni Association newspaper, Tech Topics, begins publication.
The Electronics Research Building is completed.
Bobby Dodd retires as head football coach but remains athletics director. During his 22 years as coach, Dodd's teams won 165 games, lost 64, and tied eight. His Jackets played in 13 bowl games, winning nine of them.

Bud Carson is named head football coach.

The Cherry Emerson Biology Building is completed.
President Harrison resigns, effective the next year. Vernon Crawford is appointed acting president.

Industrial management becomes the last program opened to women.

William L. Carmichael retires. He estimates that he signed 23,500 diplomas during his 20 years as registrar.
Wonderful Ed's Day is observed April 9 in honor of outgoing President Harrison. More than 3,000 spectators gather near the site of the old shop to hear tributes by Atlanta Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., COM 33, and others. Harrison is also presented with a T taken from the Tech Tower. In turn, he presents student government president Carey Brown with the steam whistle, which had disappeared the previous month.

Arthur Hansen, Tech's dean of engineering, becomes the Institute's seventh president.

The School of Industrial Management becomes the College of Management.

Fulmer Hall, the first women's dorm, opens.

The Space Science and Technology complex is completed.

The Bioengineering Center is established in conjunction with Emory University.
The Fred B. Wenn Student Center opens after 25 years of fundraising on its behalf.

The School of Geophysical Sciences is established.

The Boggs Chemistry Building is constructed.

Commencement is held in Alexander Coliseum instead of on Grant Field for the first time.

Southern Tech was authorized to grant four-year degrees.
President Hansen resigns, and Dr. James E. Boyd is named acting president.
Joseph Mayo Pettit, dean of engineering at Stanford University, becomes Tech's eighth president.

Bill Fulcer replaces Bud Carson as head football coach.

Pepper Rodgers is named head football coach.

Dianna Shelander was the first female athlete to receive a varsity letter at Georgia Tech. She competed in spring board diving events on the Men's Swim Team that year and as well as in 1974, 1975 and 1976.

Basketball become the first women's sport to receive varsity status.
The name of the General College is changed to the College of Sciences and Liberal Studies.

The School of Architecture becomes the College of Architecture.

The Georgia Legistlature designates the Engineering Experiment Station as the Georgia Productivity Center.

Tech joins the Metro-6 athletic conference.

Doug Weaver replaces the retiring Bobby Dodd as athletics director.

Jimmy Carter, Cls 46, is elected president of the United States.
The Fuller E. Callaway III Student Athletic Complex is completed.

The Center of Radiological Research is formed to coordinate research in health physics.

Roll Call tops the $1 million mark for the first time.

Tech joins the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Georgia Mining Resources Institute, linked to the U.S. Bureau of Mines, is formed.

The Fracture and Fatigue Research Laboratory is established.
The YMCA building is renovated and dedicated as the L.W. "Chip" Robert Jr. Alumni/Faculty House. Offices of the Alumni Association and the Georgia Tech Foundation are located there.

The Computational Mechanics Center is established.